View Single Post

Send a message via AIM to micko77
Quote:
Originally posted by markjenn
On the global warming issue, the science is not good enough to unequivocally prove that our activities are causing the current warm up, nor is the science good enough to precisely predict the exact consequences. But the science is good enough to say that increasing the level of CO2 in our atmosphere by 50-100% in the geologic blink of an eye is EXTREMELY LIKELY to cause very dramatic climate change. Given this fact, and given that we don't have another planet to go to, I think we should be playing it a little conservative and working on technologies and policies that don't continue "business as usual".

I think we could virtually immediately reduce fossil fuel use by about 50% with almost no reduction in the quality of our lifes. We might be driving 35-hp bikes rather than 150-hp bikes, but sometimes I think I have more fun on my 35-hp DRZ than on any of my more powerful bikes. Bigger isn't necessarily better. All it takes is everyone getting on board and conducting their lifes in a thinking way with regard to the consequences.
As usual, you provide a well thought out and intelligent argument. Precisely the one I happen to agree with and consequently what I believe is the only logical argument. The science is not solid enough to support an elimination of every other hypothesis at this time, but the consequence of no action far outweighs the inconvenience of action. As you and I both seem to have stated, small lifestyle changes can go a long way with little inconvenience. Being more efficient is just good practice, even in the absence of a crisis.

But, all that said there is one thing that I know to be true. Whether it's the doctor, the scientist, the politician, or the preacher...they all know better than me how I should live my life...funny thing is that in all their wisdom they ALL seem to need more money from me to live theirs better.
2004 BMW R1100S
2005 Mercedes C230w
2006 Ducati Sport 1000(sold)
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs

Last edited by micko77; 07-03-2007 at 01:07 PM..
Old 07-03-2007, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)