View Single Post

Unfortunately, it's not a 965 unit either, as it's for sure smaller than the OE 965 unit - it will fit with the 930 A/C condenser present. From what I see, I think it was sorta designed for EFI conversion use, as it has no fitting for the AAR on the right side, nor were the fittings drilled and tapped for the boost sensor and boost cutoff (although there are pads cast into the reat tank for these on the top left side, ala 965).

Here's my take on mounting this thing:
1) cut/reweld the arm that mounts to the coil bracket as it was angled and it is just plain wrong. This is the biggest 'issue' since the cast tank is a porous hunk of crap - one of the poorest castings I've ever seen.
2) clearance the tab near the TB so you can actually thread a nut on to the mounting stud.
3) design an arm to connect the mount near the CIS unit to the OE 965 mounting bracket (it mounts to the manifold where the diverter mounted - the diverter is removed for this IC)
4) remove the entire rear wiper (motor and all) and tweak the decklid hinge to allow for the wastegate and BOV lines to connect to the IC. Might have to remove/relocate the A/C line that is zip tied to the hinge as well (but that condenser can stay in the decklid ).
5) drill and tap fittings for boost sensor and boost cutoff (and AAR - I'm not sure if this hose is needed)
6) get an aftermarket air cleaner (I did the $20 mr. gasket unit), as the stock airbox will not fit - you could cut and weld part of the stock airbox to fit it in, but that seems like a total waste....

I think that about sums it up - $1,800 for the intercooler, $600 in 'extra' parts NEEDED (could easily be $1,000 if you buy the K&N or other 'hi-po' airbox) to actually USE the IC for something other than a (billy) boat anchor, and a good day or 2 of R/R and fabbing.
It's a great value for someone whose brain apparently fell out of their head years ago..... like me.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)