View Single Post
Thread Killer

I'd say your observations are right on the money. The weight difference is most noticeable to me when I hop back on an R1100S. But, I also like that solid feel. It's just not as athletic. I really like the gear indicator, and the transmission is completely different and shifts nicely. I think the hard hit at around 6,500 got tuned out with a later version of the software. Mine's much more progressive than the one I test rode a year ago. The lower bars don't bother me as much as I thought they would, except at very low speeds. I agree the seat is way better, although it doesn't look like it could be. I'm much happier with the ginormous factory tank bag, too. I can put a good amount of camera gear in there, and still have room for a jacket. I love not having to add oil like I did before.

Gripes- BMW should give priority to ordered units. Hopefully, they've changed that astonishing lack of consideration. I didn't get some of the stuff I ordered, like trip computer, which would have included the fuel gauge. Not a biggie, especially since you get a countdown when you reach reserve. Thankfully, the tire pressure monitor can be added and the alarm piggybacks that cheaply, too. I see no downside to getting the 6.0" rear wheel w/190 tire that I didn't order, though. The paint is crap. I can see wear marks where my knees rub the tank, and that is unacceptable. I expect BMW will be warrantying a lot of body panels. Luckily for them they didn't build a lot of these bikes. BMW should also let Ohlins sell their shocks directly. Hardly anyone is going to pay a dealer $2,200-2,500 to buy them at a dealership. Most will go with another brand or wait and see.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)