View Single Post
Boost Freak

Garage
Well, this is all just bumming me out. I just got back from another test drive and this is a very intermittant problem.

I drove the car around until the oil temp got up to 180 - 185. The car ran perfect. With the motor fully hot, idle was smooth as could be, 800 rpm at every stop, it would not vary or faulter. Finally after about 1/2 hour of stop and go driving at operating temp, I pulled up to a stop sign and the idle dropped to 200 rpm, then up to 1,200 rpm ( up and down within a few seconds ) then it died. It did it once more as I pulled in my drive. I sat in front of the garage and it was at a smooth 800 rpm. I let it idle for about 5 minutes blipping the throttle now and then.... but it remained a perfect idle.

If this was a mixture problem, I am wondering why it would run perfect 90% of the time? Seems to me there is some valve or regulator sticking or intermittantly failing on me rather than a constant such as a bad mixture... don't you think?
You guys are the experts, but I am trying to logically think this out from my past experience.

Here are some other details;

I did pull a few plugs and they are dark, but not sooty... so yes it is on the rich side at idle.

Whenever I blip the throttle, there is a clicking sound from the motor, but I am not sure where it's coming from?

The car quietly pops and burbles trailing throttle (while shifting gears)... is that normal?

For whatever it's worth, I tried about 50 times to get the car to die by pushing the clutch in and coasting while under way, but it always settled down to a nice 800 rpm idle. It only seems to die when I am stopping or turning.

At any rate, thanks for your suggestions, I am learning a lot about the fuel system so it's all good. ... intermittant problems are the hardest to figure out sometimes.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)