View Single Post
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally posted by tonypeoni
I dont doubt what your saying but you were just unfortunate. I want to say 30% if not more of 930s in the U.S. are grey market. Heck my 83 512 BBi had to be federalized and it was sold new at Ferrari of Beverly hills. How did you prove this? How did you find the paperwork after that amount of time?
Hi,
We are not talking about Gray Market cars. Those cars are fine if they have been federalized. His car has not been federalized, it is Illegal to operate that car in the US. A Gray Market car is one that was not meant for sale in the US. To legally import a Gray market car it must be converted to US spec, aka federalization like mine was. I had to do title searches until I located the original title. On hat title was the dealership who sold it, they gave me the importer. He had all the EPA docs and DOT documentation about the conversion process. There is probably an easier way to do it.
I have no issue with Gray Market cars, but they SHOULD have gone thru the EPA/DOT process of getting their papers. A Gray Market Car that was not Federalized would be worthless to me if I intended to drive it on the street. I would not buy it, because it would be illegal. There is no telling when that bomb would hit you. Basically I am not convinced there is forgiveness for Illegal cars. I believe that an UnFederalized car would always be illegal in AL ad infinitum. That car he is looking at is Illegal in every state in my opinion, how many will question it, that's the crapshoot. Any 80-85 930 that was not federalized was Illegally imported. I don't believe there has been a law that forgives this. It is not an emissions thing, it is a Legally imported thing.

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 07-07-2007, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)