View Single Post
Boost Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by les_garten
Hi,
We are not talking about Gray Market cars. Those cars are fine if they have been federalized. His car has not been federalized, it is Illegal to operate that car in the US. A Gray Market car is one that was not meant for sale in the US. To legally import a Gray market car it must be converted to US spec, aka federalization like mine was. I had to do title searches until I located the original title. On hat title was the dealership who sold it, they gave me the importer. He had all the EPA docs and DOT documentation about the conversion process. There is probably an easier way to do it.
I have no issue with Gray Market cars, but they SHOULD have gone thru the EPA/DOT process of getting their papers. A Gray Market Car that was not Federalized would be worthless to me if I intended to drive it on the street. I would not buy it, because it would be illegal. There is no telling when that bomb would hit you. Basically I am not convinced there is forgiveness for Illegal cars. I believe that an UnFederalized car would always be illegal in AL ad infinitum. That car he is looking at is Illegal in every state in my opinion, how many will question it, that's the crapshoot. Any 80-85 930 that was not federalized was Illegally imported. I don't believe there has been a law that forgives this. It is not an emissions thing, it is a Legally imported thing.

Les
Oh well, for whatever it's worth, the car at this point is a limited use, classic / historical vehicle with my State's blessings. I was originally concerned and crossed checked several times with different authorities, but it's clearly not a problem on a 25 year old car in most States. Maybe it was Federalized at one time or maybe not, or maybe set back to Euro specs after the fact? ... you almost sound like some kind of EPA cop If I can get ahold of the second owner, I'll see what I can find out, the more info I can get on the car, the better. For now, I'll enjoy it and when time comes to sell, I doubt I'll have a problem.

Last edited by Maxx1; 07-07-2007 at 08:19 PM..
Old 07-07-2007, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)