View Single Post
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

My car had some head work, the manifold extrude honed, "real" headers (not GHL, etc), euro lines, tuned WUR (by me) to give a flat AF curve, fuel head mod (probably not needed), a STOCK airbox, a Kokeln turbo and IC, matched injectors, 964 cams and I'm sure something else I can't think of. It put out consistent 420 RWHP (and 390 ftlbs) at one bar. When I tore the motor apart (to go to EFI), it was in pretty good shape. One last point - it idled perfectly, started every time and could be driven daily.

As a side note, I spent almost 3 hours and 100 miles street tuning my EFI system today. I enjoyed the hell out of it because its running incredibly well, but I'm not quite happy with the results yet. Sure, WOT is fine - whoopee - most people can tune that. But add 85 degree ambient, heavy traffic, 85 mph freeway, then stop and go, cold start, hot start, idle, ignition timing, 4 gears and so on, all on an air-cooled, turbo-charged, rear mounted 1979 technology motor - this is not easy. Oh yah, add boost to the process at varying RPM and you'll get an idea of how tricky EFI really is.

A good running CIS car is not so bad.

Sorry for the hijack.

Last edited by DonE; 07-14-2007 at 04:07 PM..
Old 07-14-2007, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)