View Single Post
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Schnele - you know you're right, it's easy for me to make these great claims when I don't have to back them up. I consider myself an honest person so I figure you should take my word for it. Well this is the internet and you shouldn't just blindly accept things.

You could write a book on tuning and modifying CIS just like the many books written about EFI. It is a moot point now but I'm sure something could have been done to fix your CIS problem. More and more folks are starting to surface with 400+RWHP CIS 930s with good A/F ratios to redline. Not a lot of those guys are interested in reducing lag or increasing fuel mileage so they don't go the extra mile.

The only measurements that truely matter are the A/F readings. Several folks have posted those. I think Craig did most recently. You can also see boost threshold on a dyno sheet. Mileage is a little tricky. The best data for that comes off of a GPS sense odometers are sometimes optimistic.

Digressions asside, the riginal posting inquired how difficult and how expensive is it to convert CIS to EFI. The simple answer is it is not that mechanically difficult. The tuning is the difficult part. It is expensive. Even if you did all the mechanical work and tuning yourself it would cost several thousand dollars. There are alternatives such as MegaSquirt that allow you to go as far as building the actual computer boards yourself. At that point it becomes a time thing.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)