View Single Post

Garage
Plant Tour - Beck Speedster/Spyder (pics!)

What could enhance a beautiful summer weekend in Northern Indiana? How about a guided tour of Special Edition, Inc. - assemblers of the Beck Speedster and Spyder located in Bremen, IN. I had no idea that these guys have been building high quality Porsche replicas for the past 26 years right in my backyard! Thanks to a nice writeup in our local newspaper last Sunday, I was finally enlightened. So this past Saturday, I was joined by our Pelican brother "Doug&Julie" (and his brother Gregg) for a visit to Special Edition!

It's a bit of a complicated story, but basically Kevin Hines worked with Chuck Beck for many years building Spyder replicas out of Brazil. Eventually Kevin formed his own company (with his son Carey) in Bremen, IN assembling both '55 Spyder and '57 Speedster replicas. They continue to import the chassis' (tubular steel frame with hand crafted fiberglass body panels) from Brazil and assemble the finished product in Indiana. You can read more about the background and technology at the Special Edition website.

Kevin conducted our tour personally and we got to meet his son Carey as well. They were both very generous with their time and answered every question we could throw at them. Both guys are Class Acts which clearly shines through in their product and their facilities.

Doug will be adding his commentary to this thread, but I can tell you that it was like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for me . Rather that trying to explain it, I think that a few pictures would be more descriptive....

Ghosts of the Past: '77 911S Targa 3.2 Conversion, '89 Carrera Coupe, '99 Boxster, '70 911T Coupe ,'80 911SC Targa, '77.5 924
Old 07-16-2007, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)