View Single Post
one of the great unwashed

Update:
I had sent the turbo back to Tim's Turbos to look it over. He put in a gapless ring on the turbine side. I put it back in Saturday...still smoked like mad. I spoke to Tim today. He said the turbo is fine, and it's a drain issue. I showed and described the vinyl tubing test, and how it looked good on the drain. Tim said basically do not believe all you see. So, at his suggestion, I drained the turbo directly into a catch can, and plugged the sump drain line so all my oil wouldn't pour out.

It stopped smoking!

I guess I get enough crankcase pressure in the line to pressurize ever so slightly the drain cavity in the turbo. So, now how do I fix it? I will surmise the Rajay's are a bit more finicky than the Garrett or Turbonetics units on draining, or, as Tim puts it "that's why they went out of business". I am thinking to put a tee in the drain line, with one line to the drain of the turbo, the other to the sump, and one line to atmosphere, up high in the engine compartment. Question is, will I introduce cavitation in the oil pump pickup? Plan B is the electric oil pump, back into the left cover, ot the sump tank.

BTW, shameless plug for Tim's Turbos in Falls Chuch, VA, Customer service above and beyond, and provides the absolute correct answers.

Pat
Old 07-16-2007, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)