View Single Post
one of the great unwashed

Quote:
Originally posted by RarlyL8
Pat - if that is the problem you are having you need an oil sump like those used on the stock 930. They have a vent that attaches to the air cleaner. On my car I just put a small filter on it. Do not "T" your line, it will hydro lock and with enough pressure shoot up the "T". You need an actual catch can or tank that has open atmosphere at the top. Once that is taken care of you have to clear the path for the oil. If the engine sump is pressurised it will not allow the oil in.
Brian,
As I found out at 0545 this morning, you are exactly correct; it will hydro lock and push the oil back up the vent tube. So, although it was OK for a while the past few days, I tried to use the car to go to work this morning. I didn't get a mile from home. When I got back in the garage, it had shot oil everywhere, and onto the heat exchangers. Nothing like having to take a fire extinguisher to the underside of the car at 0600.

I think part of the problem is that the tee was at the level of oil in the sump. I'll try builing a catch can today at work. I looked at some commercially available cans, and they seem to be a bit too deep for my application.

Pat
Old 07-20-2007, 03:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)