View Single Post

Garage
930 wastegate questions

just recently (the last time I rove my 930) noticed that my boost is suddenly higher than I have ever seen. The needle now extends well to the right. It seems to have plenty of power, but it concerned me so I tried staying off boost for the remainder of the drive.

I decided that the wastegate must be sticking or some problem with it.

I looked in my manuals and it said to apply pressure to the hose leading to it from the intercooler (control line).

I rigged up a regulator and a gauge and applied pressure to the line.

At .8 bar (12-13psi) the valve seems to remain closed. At 1.1 bar the valve can be heard to open and close, but a hissing sound can be heard as air is escaping somewhere.

The car always used to run about .8 bar until now.

My main questions are:

1.) Is the diaphragm supposed to hold pressure, or do the y leak slightly?

2.) If I buy a replacement diaphragm from Lindsey Racing, is there a gasket for the wastegate body? If so, where would I find one?

3.) Would a leaking diaphragm be a cause for this overboost condition?

4.) I have seen the TiAL wastegates and believe one of them to be a direct replacement for mine, but I would rather attempt rebuilding mine than spending the extra money right now on a wastegate. (I did read that a rebuilt wastegate may be short lived, but I still want to try).

5.) Are there any other sources for a gasket and the diaphragm?

Thanks for your help/advice. I may try giving Imagine Auto a try since they are local to me.

John
1974 914-6 3.2, GT -(Red).......| 1974 914 - Unit Body (TBD)
1971 914 (TBD).....................|

Last edited by johnman001; 07-22-2007 at 12:12 AM..
Old 07-21-2007, 11:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)