View Single Post
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I have looked into producing intercoolers for the 930. After looking at suppliers from China to California and crunching the numbers it comes to ....... over $1000.
Why? Because you have such a small demographic to work with. Fab shops price jobs by the hundreds of units. Quality materials are crazy expensive, and again, you only get a price break through bulk purchasing. I am littlerally giving my mufflers away when I sell them for less than $800. If I could sell thousands of them to the Honda camp the price would drop to 1/2, which is what you see with intercoolers as well.

There are a couple of ways to get a price break.
The least expensive is to buy a core and fab the tanks yourself (not everyone can do that),
another is to do a group buy through a distributor so they qualify for special pricing,
another is to find a current manufacturer of intercoolers and persuade them (through a group buy) to add 930 intercoolers to their line. There is a group right now working with PWR. It looks like they may produce a 930 replacement intercooler for less than $1000.

After digesting the research I did on manufacturing and distribution costs for 930 intercoolers I think $1000 is about what you should expect to pay. Anything less than that and the line will be dropped due to low profitability. On the other side, anything more than probably $1300 is pure greed. The $1800 B&B 930 longneck is the most overprices piece of crap I have ever seen.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)