View Single Post

Tires and wheels and rim widths, Oh My!

Hello Gentlemen,
I've been reading here about rim widths ie 7s,8s,9s. I don't know what mine are.
What is OEM rim width, if there is such a thing, on an 88 930? And how do you accurately measure rim width?
My 88 930 has its original 16" Fuchs wheels and has two new 245s in the front and two old 205s in the rear. Tire Rack indicates the OEM size for an '88 930 as 205s in the front and 245s in the rear. Therefore, I suspect the PO installed the new tires on the rear wheels and rotated them to the front.
I will purchase two new 205s (unless this group suggests otherwise) & I will locate them in the front & relocate the front tires (245s) to the rear.
I just want to make sure I buy the right tires and that they are mounted on the right rims.
I wish to keep my stock 16" Fuchs as well as the pretty new 245s (less than 2000 miles) that I have. My car is only driven on the street in nice weather.
Any advice on my proposed tire purchase (205s), how to measure rim width and what stock rim width should be would be appreciated.
Phew!
Thanks in advance.
Jim
Old 07-28-2007, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)