View Single Post
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDD View Post
Wouldn't switching cams eat your whole 5 grand if you had a shop do it?
Well, if you read his post, he makes no mention of a shop doing it.
I saved thousands by doing the work myself and farming out the work that I either didn't have the tools for or the skills to do it right.

As far as turbo's go, I rather buy a turbocharger that has more applications(i.e. engine types) running off it than one that seems to have only one, Porsche. It's a simple case of economics. A company is more likely to improve the breed of a turbocharger when there's more competition. Regarding, the K27s vs. Garrett dyno comparison, how about some maps on the "new" improved K27(HF)S? I'll be happy to buy the "new" KKK. Just show me the maps.

Regarding the B&B Headers, had mine now for three years------still no cracks. Not saying there weren't problems on some sets sent out, but mine wasn't one of them. Just a note on cracking. Some people were mounting the turbocharger on the header flange without using the support bracket off the rear engine console. Now, that is just asking for trouble.

The usual disclaimer, I'm not affiliated with either Garrett or B&B. Just wise beyond my years(the hard way) from hearing all the hype from tuners without the proof to substantiate their claims.

robert_snyder, like any diagnosis that requires emptying your wallet, get second opinions. There are a few on this forum that have gone through this phase on their way to even more robust modifications. DonE, RarlyL8, 125_shifter to name a few. Don't change the IC. If the Kokeln you have is one of the early designs(more than two years old), you have a very good IC capable of handling 600 (crank) HP. A full bay will bring you bling, but little else. Money can be better spent elsewhere.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P

Last edited by WERK I; 07-28-2007 at 07:15 AM..
Old 07-28-2007, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)