View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
To put it bluntly you are wasting your time IMO with your 911. I too would have liked to have turbo'd my '84 3.2 but I really wanted to supercharge it. I didn't do it because of the 915 transmission. I bit the bullet and bought a 930. If you are still going to do it then you have to get a G50 gearbox, shifter and pedals from at least a '87 up carrera. Sell your 915 in good working order rather than destroying it.

Good luck with your decision.
Hey Nathan, there's a few 930-motored cars here running 915's, some blown 3.2's (including one converted by the current owner in the early 80's - which is pretty darned cool), and probably even more 3.6 transplants.

Black Beauty II had 50K street miles over 5 years and 100 track days on a '77 mag case 915 (in 2006). The videos seem to indicate that Jack's not exactly easy on his car...

Promotive are quoted as saying their customers regularly run mid-500's HP with a blown 3.2 through a 915 (because they both make more RPM and make less torque at a given RPM than a 930) in the same thread:

How much power can a 915 really take?

MB told me of a 930-motored hillclimb car with a 915, running high-boost with 935 heads, P&C's - and which at one stage had nitrous fitted as well, LOL. Street driven to and from events with a puck clutch...

A 930 or G50 box would certainly be the stronger choice - and this gets you the 240mm clutch cover as well - but there does seem to be some anecdotal evidence the 915 can last if properly prepared and treated with care...
Old 07-29-2007, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)