View Single Post

How Hot?

I found the numbers to the inside of the gauge. According to Bruce Anderson, the second white mark is apprx 200 (i think 196) and the third is approx 250 (i think again 246 but not exactly sure on the exact numbers, out of town and don't have the book handy).

The following is 80 - 90 degree weather:

On the highway, I'll run right at the second white mark with A/C on and all windows up and S/R closed all day long. If I get into traffic on the highway, and get to close to cars (still running 70 - 80) the air flow gets disrupted, then it will go approx 1-3 mm past the second white mark. I get away from the cars, it will then drop back down to the second mark.

If I turn A/C off, open windows and S/R in same conditions as above, the air flow gets disrupted over the car and the gauge will go 1-3 mm past white mark and just stay there.

In city traffic (which I rarely get into) the gauge will just slowly start climbing, gone as high as 250 (third white mark) before I got out of traffic, but I am sure it would have just kept climbing if I would have stayed in the traffic.

I recently added the large fan from Elephant Racing to my stock oil cooler in the fender, and all it really does it just prolong the temp from climbing. I have it set to come on approx 210-220. When it comes on, the gauge will just stay there for a while, then it will start slowly climbing. I have seen it go as far as just over level before I got out of traffic. I would have really thought the fan would have done more.

All of this is with my stock 86 930, except all smog removed, no cat, euro muffler, O2 disconnected, and CO set to approx 2.5%.

Last edited by timc; 07-29-2007 at 12:40 PM..
Old 07-29-2007, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)