Thread: Thermostat 930
View Single Post

Just a SWAG:

Two issues with that it seems to me; the oil may take much longer to warm up properly, as it'll be circulating through any external cooler(s) fitted as soon as the motor thermostat opens.

Secondly, you should only check the oil when the oil is up to temperature anyway - because it expands as it gets hotter - if you check the level when cold, you will over-fill and it will puke it all out when it gets hot.

I presume you want to be able to start the car, warm it up on the track for a few laps and go playing without having to stop and check the oil - but also would like to be confident you have enough oil before whaling on it...

How about this? Warm the oil to normal operating temperature and then allow to cool to ambient. Make a mark for "cold" oil level. If ambients vary a lot, you may need to repeat at a few different temperatures - you may also need a longer dipstick to check, dunno quite how far down into the tank it actually goes...

I'm sure someone who knows what they're talking about will be along in a while
Old 07-31-2007, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)