View Single Post

E-man's 85 930 Build Thread

Well here is my OFFICIAL 930 build thread. I will try and update it regularly as I tackle problems during my fabrication of suitable parts and post plenty of pictures to inspire other Porsche-heads. I have a target date of Spring of 2008 to have this thing ready to go. If I finish earlier great, any later and I'm going to jump in a lake. I still have to fabricate braces to securely attach the intercooler to the motor, and I plan on fabricating a really neat intake to one up the stock system while not falling victim to many the design flaws of the ones available from the Crap-termarket... After all of this I'm pulling the motor and rebuilding it with the same level of attention to detail; polishing, anodizing, and powder coating along the way.

Right now (And I've changed my plans 5 times already the past six months) the car is going to stay a 3.3 CIS car with a RPM triggered WUR and modded fuel head. The car is a 1985 euro 930 and I have an emissions waiver from the EPA - so I get to have some fun with the way this thing will be setup to run. I took my car apart initially because I was sick of the rattle inside my 16G B&B sheet metal muffler. I soon realized bolt on expensive crap was not a good way to liquidate my cash so I decided to get my hands dirty and build this thing right myself. Unfortunately for me a few things in my life have kept me from working on the car for about a year. I'm now back to being able to work on my project and I thought it would be fun to post my work along the way on Wayne's wonderful forums.

With all of the hub-bub regarding exhaust systems for 930s I decided to start off with a few pictures of where I am so far in my quest for a quality properly built 930 exhaust system. I wanted something that was very free flowing, had minimal tight bends or direction changes (exhaust flow) and did not look like it was out of place on the car (symetrical on both sides). I didn't like any of the systems you can buy on the market. I originally had a B&B dual out with 4" tips and the quality can be compared to having something fabricated by children in India out of recyled molted down Yugo parts. I was not very willing to try any of the other brand X mufflers from Fabspeed (China) or GHL... I evaluated Super Sprint and Monty and while on the better side of the quality spectrum, they still compromised in my eyes. So here is what I came up with... (I still have to fabricate some bracing and TIG weld everything). I would like to share that I just taught myself how to weld with a $200 MIG welder and a $20 welding book... I have already cut out some body stampings and rewelded in new sheet metal - but I'll hold off on that story for later)

*** Both of the exhaust tips are 3.5" in diameter, have a 10 degree back cut, exit at 30 degrees relative to the bumper horizontal, and are at 45 degrees relative to the center of the car***

E-man

(uploaded pics to Pelican - see below)

Last edited by E-man930; 08-04-2007 at 01:42 PM..
Old 08-02-2007, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)