View Single Post

My 79 930 Rebuild

Many of you have me asking me to publish a thread on my car, and the current rebuild. So grab a cold one and enjoy!

History:

In 1979 my grandfather traded in his red 356 coupe for a brand new copper metalic 930 sitting on the showroom floor. As a boy I would always love visiting him b/c I knew he would take me out for a drive and always had either a new Porsche t-shirt or hat to give me. Our bond truly was this car.
In August 2006 he passed away and left me his prized possession. He had planned on giving it to me anyways b/c he knew it was time for him to get something newer, and faster (a Porsche GT3 to be exact), but didn't get a chance to go through with it.

The reason for the rebuild:

After sitting in customs for a month (car is from canada) It finally arrived at my doorstep. It was my first time driving it, so I never knew anything was wrong, but i did notice a slight studder on acceleration. I took it to the shop to have all new struts, tires, euro drop, and allignment. That is when the shop called to tell me the engine was in bad shape. 1 cylinder was not fireing (the studder), and 3 cylinders had more than 90% leak. I couldnt believe I was even able to drive it at all. I took it home, parked it in the garage and got in touch with a guy who owned a 930 and had done a rebuild on it already. I had met him at the Triangle chapter PCA xmas party (many of you know him on here as Sand_Man). He introduced me to Pelican, and Waynes books. He also let me borrow all the expensive tools to get the job done!

The tear down:

06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle

Last edited by AngM018; 08-03-2007 at 05:20 PM..
Old 08-03-2007, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)