View Single Post

These were all very good points. The oil leaks were from years and years of being fixed but not cleaned up. When I first got the car I started blending my own oil and it resolved pretty much all of the leaks at the time.

I will take a pic of the cylinders. believe it or not their still was a crosshatch, and this engine had about 130K on the clock. Even though this is a Canadien car and it was his daily driver, he would only drive it in the summer months after it had rained at least twice (to be sure there was no salt on the road). Thus no rust!

I think you hit the nail on the head with the lean situation. I sent out all my injectors to be cleaned/tested, and one came back leaking and was not reusable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxermania View Post
John

The engine doesn't look too bad for a 79. Have you found where that oil leak on top of the engine by the case vent came from....was it the vent hose?

You didn't mention about the mileage the engine had, do you mind terribly posting a picture of a cylinder wall after you break it down....I'm interested to see if the crosshatch pattern can be seen. I have taken engines apart with the Nikasil cylinders, with 100 K miles on them, and the cross hatch is still visible.....

From my experience, it appears that the cylinder with the burned valve might have been running lean. Make sure that you check those injectors out.

Thanks and keep us informed, great pics
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 08-04-2007, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)