View Single Post

Comparing the HFS and the 3LDZ is joke. The 3LDZ is a 30 year old paper weight. The HFS we built less than 5 years ago using the latest technology. We cast and machine the housings so we also control the AR. The back plates and so on are also built in house. Efficiency of the turbo is much higher than the 3LDZ. You should see the efficiency when we ZC the turbos!

Will the HFS be good for Bob, well as I told him with the set today at this point it is overkill. He will still see benefits over the stock turbo but he has future plans and didn't want to buy a turbo now and a turbo later so decided on the HFS. It will not spool as fast as a K27S but it will still spool faster (read more efficient) than the 3LDZ hands down. The characterizes of the turbo are more linear as opposed to on and off so the seat of the pants feel may not be as dramatic as the K27 but putting it on the dyno and logging the car will show you that it is building boost and TQ much faster than the 3LDZ and certainly more then the rear is picking up.

We all know that the K27 can not maintain 1.0 at redline, it is out of its efficiency map, the HFS will maintain 1.3 bar to redline if desired. I do not recommend that of course.

Which is the best turbo, well it depends if his goals change. If he stops where he is at then as I explained there are better choices. If he sticks to the road map that he has set out on then the turbo he has chosen will serve him well.

I would also agree that the bushing/seals should be replaced in the OEM return system. It will stop the clunking as well.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)