View Single Post

The air pushed into this I/C WILL distribute itself fairly equally throughout the inlet tank and core, assuming there is no path thru the core with less resistance than others. That is basic physics, no matter what Corkey Bell says - I really doubt that he can battle wits with Einstein and the like when dealing with gas laws.

Now, what will happen in doing this is that the force needed to push the air all the way to the right of the unit (from behind as it is mounted) will result in overall slower air flow thru the core as the entire inlet tank would need to be equilibrated 'before' air flows thru the core. (this is a generalization - air would of course begin to move into the core as it also moves from left to right in the inlrt tank, but since the tank provides MUCH less resistance to flow than the core, the tank would quickly become equilibrated then aire would move thru the entire core at equal pressure to the outlet tank) This increased time to equilibrate the inlet tank manifests itself in a bigger pressure drop than a similar I/C might have if the inlet was centered rather than offset. Also, this design will increase turbulance in the inlet tank as air is pushed to the right end, which would also increase the inlet temp., thereby also decreasing efficiency, but I'm not sure if this would even be measurable.

I doubt that even the pressure drop is significant though - I'd expect that the air is travelling sooo fast that the resistance of flow thru the core causes an almost 'instant' pressure equilibrium in the inlet tank.

Pat K
87 930
Old 08-14-2007, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)