View Single Post

Garage
Installed the Intercooler

Nathan, Craig, 930LDR and everybody....

I did precisely as you pointed out about preparing the turbo for break in. I preoiled it and cranked the motor with the coil wire pulled and the fuel pump relays pulled for a minute counting to 60 The car runs smooth and totally controllable. Boost is evident at 2500 RPM and builds rapidly from there to .8 (As Far as I would push it). The car drives the same except the hole spectrum has shifter earlier in RPM's. I didnt get on it because of my AFR questions. I dont detect any tremendous power increases. But I havent punched it either. I'm worried about AFR and will order the LC-1 tonight or tomorrow. I also dont trust the boost guage. I'm going to buy the 3 inch for the clock location. (Any recomendations?) The Intercooler installation was uneventful except removing the old air shroud out of the tail...I started cursing trying to remove those idiotic allen head screws and the A/C hose.

My summation: The car runs better than stock and does everything it did but better with a third more throttle left. I am reluctant to step on it because of all the factors that could be expensive. Other K27's come on hard..But the HFS in my case comes on agressively but nor overwhelming. I cant wait to get on the freeway and just floor it (WOT) and let her wind to 6500 RPMs. I suspect it will run well. Do I see a huge HP increase?....Dont know yet! I want to do some AFR studies and a dyno to get everthing adjusted. I want to be able to correlate my AFR readings in my LC-1 to what is actual to baseline the future and the most effective CO percentage. My car seamed to run better at 7% CO when I had it checked. I adjusted it to 2.5 and it ran well but seemed to lack the intense pull under boost. Personnaly I woulds like the car to be slightly on the rich side to keep it cool. Gas is still fairly inexpensive.

As an Aerospace Engineer: I see issues with Delta "P" (Density Altitude) Intake pressure at variation in mean outside ambiant temperature. The car will have a propensity to build boost pressure more rapidly at cooler temperatures (And run better too) But.....I need to be capable of venting an overpressure boost effectively with my wastegate. I think reasonable, impirical testing with the AFR measuring system will be adequate.??? I hope....Thanks for listening..

Fellas, give me some constructive feed back like always....

Forgive my car's appearance, it needs a bath. It usually is pretty squared away..

Some pictures
Old 08-14-2007, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)