View Single Post
Waleska Waleska is offline
Registered User
 
Waleska's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Kings Beach
Posts: 5
I had the exact same thing happen to my 914 2.0 when idling in the driveway, except that there was smoke coming from the fuse panel when the car shut off. Also, I had to jump start the car in order to get it running. Ever since it shut off though it won't start even when jumped. I replaced the spark plugs and think the problem may be the coil. There is a way to check the coil spark in the Repair Manual. It says to make sure the cap is clean, then remove the HT cable out of the center of the distributor cap. With it still in the coil hold the free end about 3/8 inch from the fan housing and turn the engine over with the starter. There should be a spark from the cable end. As the voltage is several KV use rubber gloves or a pair of insulated pliers to hold the wire to prevent an electric shock. If there is no spark check the voltage at terminal 15. (ignition on) It should be at least 9 volts. This is what is says to do on page 65 of the Haynes 914-4 cylinder manual.
__________________
Waleska
Old 08-19-2007, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)