View Single Post

Wow, that green is quite something. Very rare, I'd imagine.

I'm not an expert at all, but I've picked up a couple of things to look for (just purchased an M491).

The headlight sprayers are the correct '79 type, which is a good sign. However the box-rockers are after-market, as far as I know. I personally am not a fan, but they are easy to replace. It looks like there might be an after market front valance also. The main reason I bring this up is that mods like that seem to go hand-in-hand with repaints.

There's one other thing I noticed, which is the chrome trim on the rear-window. I might be wrong here, but I thought the side-windows had some chrome trim as well, if the car had chrome trim originally.

The unfortunate thing with 79 cars is that there's no way to trace the history through carfax (or so). So the mileage is harder to trace. I know this from experience; I bought a 52K 930 and after a while it became very evident that that was not the actual mileage.

All I can say is, take your time doing the inspection on these cars. They are valuable enough for people to put effort into hiding deficiencies. If you have a chance do a paint check with one of those devices that measures paint thickness, that's very useful. It will tell you if the car has hidden repairs.

With regards to the engine; I'm not sure how one really determines the state of a '79 Turbo engine. Some people seem to think that a leak-down is a pretty good indication. But at $22K for a 930 you can't expect too much ;-)

Cheers! Mickeysoft
Old 08-19-2007, 11:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)