View Single Post

Moaning sounds more like a wheel bearing but I suppose the control arm could make a slow squeak - like a ship groaning noise.

If the torsion torsion bar in control arm is rubbing, it will make s squeaky bed noise (silent $10 whore noise?).

Grease will only make it quiet for a little while.
New bushings won't fix it in my experience.

The bar is centered in the control arm by the adjuster cap. The steel cap rides in and on the aluminum control arm. Over time the cap rubs a groove into the softer aluminum. When it rubs far enough, the bar doesn't ride in the center of the control arm "tube" and allowing the bar to rub something inside the control arm. That rubbing makes your squeak noise.

You can fix it two ways; add a little weld to the bottom of the adjuster cap to raise it up and recenter the torsion bar or fill in the groove in the aluminum cross member. Usually you just add material to the cap but if you've got the cross member off the car anyway and you know someone like Dean (a welding artiste) you can weld up the cross member. I would not weld up the cross member while it is in the car. The gas tank is right behind it.

Once you hear the creaking, the torsion bar has started rubbing and rusting where it rubs. Take it out and clean off the rust on the bar (the closer to a polished finish the better) and regrease it or paint it if you're ambitious.

-Chris
Old 08-25-2007, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)