View Single Post

So I am a little confused.

You mentioned filling the switch with solder. What was the purpose of this and did this action by itself correct the problem.
Simply by passes the boost switch. It is a ground.

Regarding the relays or fuel pumps possibly drawing extra amps creating heat at the switch and melting the diaphram. Did you every measure specific draws/voltage to determine if you had a bad relay or if your fuel pumps were drawing more amps than specified.
I did measure the voltage, but I can't recall the specific load as this was about 3 - 4 years ago. I emailed a few 'experts' who couldn't provide an acceptable draw for the pumps.

What was the final fix?
Soldering the switch (rendering it useless) and replacing the relays is all I did. Cured the symptoms, but probably didn't fix the cause. If there is any chance of an 'over boost event', you need to fix this correctly. One of my front relay sockets appeared to have gotten hot in the past and that might have caused a connection issue with the relay.

I would recommend examining the fuel pump relay sockets in the front trunk. I would bypass the pump relays with a voltmeter to get a draw to determine if one pump is worse than the other. Ground the boost switch at the motor and see if its getting hot.

Tinker
Old 08-27-2007, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)