View Single Post
Greg

I joined the revolution

Greetings,

Have been lurking for some time now and took the plunge. I bought a 1979 930 from the second owner. The car is not currently running (reflected in the price) but the body is excellent, interior serviceable and has the factory boxed rockers and airvent quarters in guards red. Also came with a bunch of spares, 2 turbos, an exhaust, misc engine parts and a rebuild transimission (with the receipt for over $4K) as well as rebuilt pedals and a rebuilt motor...keep reading

The P.O. stated the engine was rebuilt by the porsche club in West Chester PA as a group project over 2 1/2 years ago and ran well. At the time of the rebuild, new Mahl heads and pistons were installed (have the old ones also), Raceware head bolts installed, crank redone and all new bearings installed. The car also has the turbo valve covers installed. Also, stainless exhaust and heater boxes installed and a stainless muffler. The tensioner was not updated at the time. According to the PO, he was driving the car and heard a rattling sound, like chains being dragged and shut the car down and didn't drive it again. In my mind, I need the engine rebuilt, thus factoring that in upon purchase.

Now is where it gets interesting. I drained the oil and small bits of metal come out (never good) with one looking like ridge tinfoil. maybe a 1/4 of an inch long, see the attached blurry pics

Based on this brief description any thoughts on what it could be? I have not tried to start the car or turn it over. My thinking is to pull the engine, pull it apart and see where i stand.
]
Old 09-03-2007, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)