View Single Post

Question I took the plunge...

Greetings to the members of this forum,

Well after several years of owning a few normally aspirated early 911's, I finally took the plunge and just bought a 1987 factory slant-nose turbo. My last 911 was a RS replica that got a little out of hand during the build process and became more of a track car than a street car. So I am looking forward to enjoying this car on the street.

But, after reading some of the posts on this forum, and learning more about the various modifications that a turbo engine is capable of, I am getting the urge to spend some money on upgrades, but would like to receive some advice as to which upgrades can be performed to the engine and suspension without turning the car into a garage queen/track car.

Specifically, I would like to modify the suspension, wheels and tires, inter-cooler, turbocharger, and exhaust. But living in California I have to be careful on the exhaust so I can still pass smog. Also, from reading posts and looking at various vendors websites, I would like to know at which point with engine modifications do you have to play with the air fuel mixture to avoid detonation at higher rpm's?

Any input / advice on which modifications would improve performance without going to far over the edge to making the car only usable on the track would be much appreciated. Thanks, John
Old 09-03-2007, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)