View Single Post
Greg

Greetings.. here's an update. I pulled the rear bumper, turbo and exhaust, and timing covers on both sides. From the looks of it, the chain, rollers and tensioner look well within specs. There are even the tensioner collars on both side to limit damage if the tensioner should fail. I also pulled the lower valve covers and everything looks fine. So then I pulled the oil pump plate and lo and behold ,many more shavings. They look like very small potato chips. I'm hoping my culprit is only crank bearings. So in I go. The plan will be to pull the motor and start the long climb back to drive-ability. Looks like this will be an interesting adventure. Off to harbor freight to buy an engine stand, ATV jack, parts cleaner and engine hoist and on-line to buy Wayne's book and a Bentley manual. My three car garage is getting smaller by the minute

Question: When I pulled the lower valve covers, in the corner of each cover was a white powdery substance. Never seen anything like it. Any thoughts on what it could be?

One other point which amazes me is the way in which the car is built. For something so small, the level of detail and attentiveness is impressive. I compare this to my 65 Lincoln Continental Convertible and talk about worlds apart, not just the type but the way there both build. Man I love a Porsche...pics to come tomorrow.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)