View Single Post

I was running a straight pipe (like Zork but routed to the passenger side) for the last year. I'm now running a "straight thru" muffler (no baffle) that a local shop designed/built for me.

Sound-wise, there is a big (huge) difference - probably in the tune of 6db though as RarlyL8 said, its in the ear of the beholder. The muffler takes away some of the higher pitch (freq that we can hear) hence it will feel subjectively much more quiet than measured.

Power-wise, I had a cracked header (hence the start of this thread ) so did not do a back-to-back comparison yet. But with the new header and the muffler, on track, I still do not feel that the engine was any more restrictive or response was slower with the muffler.

The shop who did my muffler said that they once designed a straight pipe for a E46 M3 then a muffler. The hp difference on a dyno was 7. It may not have anything to do with our scenario but at least 1 data point.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)