View Single Post

$10-40k for EFI. Sometimes I think that there is no sense of reality in the Porsche community. For the do-it-yourself mechanic, ~$5k will get you all the components to do a decent aftermarket EFI yourself (AEM, DTA, Tec3, Haltech, etc etc even Motec if you take the KISS approach). True, Motec stuff can get expensive and be a bit closer to ~$6-8k+ depending on all of the variables. The other 2000% markup is all LABOR costs. I understand some don't want to mess with all the guesswork involved, but IMO the $20k+ I've seen some shops charge for a fairly typical EFI conversion (typical as in the same conversion stuff you'd see with any other car regardless of the manufacturer), and IMO that is too expensive compared to the actual hardware you are getting in return. I understand differences in labor rates for different manufacturers but, the $20k+ setups I've seen some buy over the years are about equal to a $5-7k setup in any other car community. Whatever floats your boat though.

CIS vs modern EFI = Wooden covered wagons wheels vs Hoosier R6's. j/k Seriously though, I can't believe people still argue about this. They both have their place and both do what they were meant to do just fine. One is quite obviously technologically superior than the other and everyone has their own preference so lets leave it at that.

A Gt35r on a 3.2L around 14-16psi should be right at ~500whp depending on the cams, intake, etc. I'll say this much, push about 24-27psi through that turbo and 600whp here you come! One question though Gumba, what hotside did you go with on the turbo? For a 3.2l, I'd hope at least a .82a/r T3 or T4 .68 or larger as that motor is large enough that anything smaller would be a waste.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)