View Single Post
Boost Freak

Garage
Hey Bob,

....I know 180 is a tall order.

I read two articles, years apart from Road and Track. The first was when the 964 Turbo was out. They had a shootout between factory stock cars ..... the ZR1 vette, Supra TT, Porsche, some Ferrari and a few other high end cars. They were pretty much all running right around 180. This month Road and Track has an article about several cars trying to reach 200 mph in a 2 mile stretch. Some cars ( Hennesy Dodge Viper ) got there alarmingly fast, and others had a hard time..... but the point is how difficult it is at those speeds to reach 200 mph. Like you said the effort is expodential and you've got to make a LOT of power to overcome the wind drag.

I had a Yamaha R1 and it would just fly up to about 155 where the gain in speed started tapering off. It still got to 165 before I scared myself and figured I better shut it down, but the wind drag was incredible!! That 2001 model was supposed to be good for 175 ( on the radar gun ) but I didn't think I had enough road to pull it off.

That guy in my car may have seen 180 on the speedometer, but there has to have been some error in there somewhere. I forgot .... too said he had a different boost spring put in the stock turbo .... so that along with headers were the only mods.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)