Thread: More on Bucking
View Single Post

Man she is picky, but running perfect again!
In the interest of valuable archives I will post the results...
Went through the archives and found all of the info on what to do:
1. Grounded wire going to overboost switch and went for a ride... no luck.
2. Pulled over boost switch and checked continuity. No resistance with no pressure (good). Put 1.5 Bar into the switch and it went to infinity. (Switch must be good)
3. Pulled green plug from back of CIS to engage fuel pumps with switch in "on" position. Lots of fuel pump noise but did not no where the rear fuel pump was. Located rear fuel pump by tracing lines (tucked above driver's side rear control arm). Jacked car and laid down near it after turning key on. Lots of noise but no vibration at all from pump so figured rear pump was not working.
4. Got smart (for once) and decided to check relays for fuel pump before removing pump. Had to locate relays (relays are in front trunk, two big red circles closest to the windshield). I looked in the rear fuse box first... duh. Once I pulled the fuse box cover it became readily apparent what the problem was. The relay closest to the windshield had worked its way out of the plug. I pushed the relay back in, turned the key to on and could clearly hear the rear fuel pump running.
5. Took car for a ride and everything was back to normal. Idles fine, pulls strong and is a good as ever.
So, the symptoms were that the motor started surging on the highway with any input to the gas pedal. Later in the day I test drove it again and the car would die after about five hundred yards, I would coast a little restart the motor with the key and get another five hundred yards. Apparently the front pump would pressurize the system so the car woudl start and run for a minute then the front pump could not keep the pressure high enough to keep the engine running. So the symptoms got progressively worse (probably because the relay was working its way out of the plug).
All's well that ends well. And yes, those relays do get warm. My next purchase from our sponsor will include a few of those big red relays to throw in the tool bag
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 09-23-2007, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)