View Single Post
Wer bremst verliert

Turbo setup alternative to supercharger plans

I have a pretty good idea from two local projects, conversations with a few shops that have done supercharger projects and a lot from this site so I think I know what I am getting into with a supercharging project I have been planning for a long time. I'd be interested if someone wants to suggest what a turbocharging alternative would entail given the same price, parts availability and degree of difficulty.

I have a 83SC track car weighing 1040kgs and a naturally aspirated 3.0 I built, giving 240hp. I'm really happy with the engine and am planning on fitting it to my street car. This post is asking about recommendations for the replacement engine for the track car. I am already in "open" class so its 'anything goes.'

I can carve up even the quick V8s in the curves, however they pass me back on the main straight. Thank god there's only one of those at EC. I would really like to keep the speed up through the corners (keep weight low and low) but pick up some speed through the straights. With the supercharging project I was keen to keep a linear curve and simplicity. I was also aiming for 400 crank HP, intercooled. Here's what I have already so available as a base for the turbo also:

98MM JE Piston 8:1 ceramic coated, lube skirted
new perfect bore cylinders
3.0 case
3.0 crank
3.0 rods (3.2 effective capacity)
3.0 heads (dished to match the cylinders)
ARP bolts
Either of sc cams or DR 20 (John Dougherty)
Adaptronic or Megasquirt ECU (have both)
50lb/hr inhjectors
1984 Carrera aluminum (aluminium) intake
Ford EDIS/Haltech twin-plug ignition controlled by ECU
1 5/8" Bursch headers

Intercooler was undecided but prefer air-to-air.

Supercharger was to be Autorotor 3215

I would appreciate any opinions on what it would take to achieve a similar or better outcome given what I have to work with already. I was budgeting $5,000 additional for the supercharger, intercooler, muffler, and plumbing. I can do everything except TIG welding and tube bending at my home shop.

I guess I'm asking for specific thoughts and recommendations for turbo (s?), exhaust, wastegate(s?), plumbing, muffler for the same budget, degree of construction complexity, target figures and longevity.

thanks!
1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 09-25-2007, 04:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)