Thread: 930 Headers
View Single Post

If Rarly's SSi product turns out to fit right for most applications (it is still a developmental product to some degree) than they will be very good quality due to the expensive metals used, and they will heat the hell out of you in the winter compared to some heat exchangers. Brian is not going to stiff anyone, so you can buy from him without concern if a problem should arise.

Honestly though, I just took some old SSI designed headers off my car and got more power and better throttle response and less weight with B+B headers. They were in good shape after probably 15 years, but they have twice as much pipe length. I felt a difference in performance going to B+B from SSI.

A lot of the things that are said about SSI are true, they are good quality and give good heat. But B+Bs make power and decrease lag in my back to back informal comparison. And they weigh a lot less, probably 10-15 pounds less.

B+Bs also fit right the first time compared to a lot of the cheaper headers out there. People complain sometimes about them not lasting, so longevity is a potential issue, which is not the case with SSI.

If you just want a header without heat, then you can go the cheap route with the GSF/OBX/Schnell/Danske product which quite frankily all seems to be the same product. But the heat tubes make the install even more difficult according to some people, so I would go B+B for heat or SSI for heat and quality, at the expense of some performance.

I think SSI and B+B sort of have different strengths and are aimed at a different market. You have quality and really hot heat versus performance and less heat/quality. I live in Virginia so heat was only a marginal concern for me. But if it is below zero and you like to drive a 930, no question the SSI would be better and the performance gap wouldn't be noticed in that kind of weather because you would be producing a lot more HP in cold air anyway.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)