View Single Post

Well I couldn't sleep with this on my mind, so it is now 4am and I have the Left cam Timed!!

Motor oil, Motor oil, Motor oil!!! I followed the procedure outlined in Wayne's book, but this time I covered and smothered the sprocket, washer, nut, and threads on the cam. I could tell immediately that the nut wasn't grabbing hold of the cam like it did when Sand_man and I first tried (which moved the cam before the washer and nut could get tight enough to hold it).

I just used the torque wrench on the crows foot, and a breaker bar on cam holder. Then i just kept my eye on the dial gauge and watched for any movement. On the third try I advanced the timing to 1.73 and settled at 1.69 (optimal was 1.70 max, but i didn't want to push my luck)

BEWARE! Make sure you wipe off ALL excess oil from the nut and the crows foot tool! The crows foot is not the best designed tool and when you add oil into the equation a large steel crows foot could slip and head towards the lower waist area (depending on how your standing). Luckily I was not injured when this occurred

Thanks everyone for all their input thus far! at least now there will be a thread on this, for future re-builders (i already searched and there was not)
I will let you guys know how the right side goes tomorrow.
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle

Last edited by AngM018; 09-30-2007 at 01:52 PM..
Old 09-30-2007, 01:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)