View Single Post

Modog, thanks for the offer for help. If I had parts to install, I'd maybe ask, but what I'd gain isn't much. I've called for help from the hometown. Pelican member and the greatest friend a guy could make in college, Anton, is bailing me out of the mess I've found myself in. Of course, he is mostly responsible for my riding addiction -- I just would never hold him to it. He's on his way. I have cool friends. I hope to return the favors people have lent me. I need to get rid of this bike. It's evil with me.

I'm at 29500 miles with the last rear final drive oil put in at about 14000, when I bought the bike from the PO. I used Mystic 90w. I'm guessing it wasn't low on oil, but the seal broke and got down to low oil. I was riding in the rain, so spotting it while on the road and stopped simply didn't happen. The symptoms are about right, though, as getting from Spearfish to Sturgis to Rapid City looking for an affordable one-way rental (a fruitless effort, especially on Sunday) has turned the seep into a steady drip. Basically when I stop, I lose it all. If it's rolling, little gets to the seal by the centrfugal force. I was considering making a run for it, but the seeping oil is sparkly. And I don't know how long the carrier and gears will last. Better to be parked next to a hotel than stuck on the interstate, or worse, launched at it from a locked rear end.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)