Thread: BOV question
View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
No oil on the piston?
I can't believe that... it's metal to metal contact and moving to some degree every time you move the gas pedal therefore changing manifold vacuum while the motor is running.
It's an aluminum piston in a magnesium housing/cylinder.
I can't believe you can leave that dry, it will score and wear out real quickly if no lubricant is on it.
I believe it should be oiled lightly with a thin synthetic oil when you assemble it, and I was asking what other people with experience have used with good success.

We're not talking about the same OEM compressor bypass valve here....I was referring to the black plastic Bosch unit. You can't take them apart and oil them...thus why I said no oiling. They're disposable and if sticking, should be tossed and replaced with a new OEM or aftermarket unit. Aftermarket valves(aka metal replacements like the Forge units) should use an oil on the orings and that I use thin Redline assembly lube.

The metal units should use a high temp lube. You want to use something that doesn't gum up under heat and use, yet run away from the friction surfaces when it gets hot and fluid. Thin engine prelubes, like the Redline, are great for this.

Some aftermarket metal on metal valves specify no oil as it collects contaminates on the valve and can jam it. TXS is one company that uses brass pistons in an aluminum bore. 99% of the time though, these are atmospheric valves and have no reference to Porsche.....

Hope that clarified it a bit. This is what I've used from my experience with the valves. I apologize that my posts are often misread
Old 10-01-2007, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)