View Single Post
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Clogged Spray Bar autopsy

Thought I'd post some pics of my recent teardown and reassembly of the engine. Some background on the set of circumstances I think caused the disaster. When I was moving back to Wisconsin from the Boston area, I decided to take the "scenic" route through Canada, PoE Port Huron, Michigan then through the U.P. of Michigan down to Wisconsin. Well, the port of entry for Port Huron was very congested. I was stuck in traffic for a l-o-n-g time and the oil temps got very high. If I was using synthetic oil, it may have given a bit more margin of error in the temp department. But using Web Cams, they said syn oils were taboo....
Anyway, the black specks in the white background are the pieces I found on the spray bar at the holes that spray oil on the valve train. They are black and carbon like, almost like charcoal. They do break when pressure is applied. I think it's the byproduct of the oil overheating, yes??

The rocker arms you see are from cylinders #6 and #5. Cylinder heads #1 thru 4 escaped the carnage. This all happened over a period of 300 miles with the some terrible noises developing over the last 50 miles. Limped home and began the long process of removal/teardown.

Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 10-02-2007, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)