View Single Post
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
Actually, there are plenty of oil only T3's. Precision Turbo gives you the option of oil only or both oil and water.

K27's not true bolt-ons? Hmm, I guess I'm a bit confused. I realize earlier 930's came with the 3LDZ, and I'm not sure how they are different from the later K27 7006 and 7200's, however I was under the impression that all of them were still K27 frame turbos? Are you maybe just referring to slight differences in fitment such as a bit of custom work on the intake side? If so, that's really not that big of a deal. It's usually a lot easier to fab up some custom intake piping and/or couplers as opposed to trying to re-work the exhaust side (new muffler section, modifying or replacing header turbo flange, etc). Take what I say with a grain of salt as technically I own a "wannabe" 930 and not even the real thing.
The 3LDZ and K-27 have different physical dimensions. While the T-3 flange is the same on both turbochargers, the console support mount will have to be reworked to support anything other than a 3LDZ. The up-tube or downtube to the IC must be modded because the offset of the cold side outlet is different than the 3LDZ. I believe the cold side inlet connector tube is slightly larger on the K27 as well.

Using any turbocharger other than the stock 3LDZ, will require some modifications. There are no free lunches, to paraphrase.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 10-03-2007, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)