View Single Post

On my 930 engine, I ditched the engine oil cooler in favor of a 993 filter console. I did it for the very reason discussed in this thread -- any contamination that makes it into the tank from any source is going to go right to the main oil gallery. That made me nervous. The problem is, a modified 930 will generate even more heat than a stock one, so the addition of extra cooling capacity becomes even more important.

To add this filter, you can buy almost all of the components from Smart Racing Products. I used a factory 993 oil filter console, which has the filter mounted vertically. The 964 turbo filter console (which also works) has a 15 degree angle to it, perhaps to make it easier to remove the filter. But I have no trouble getting mine on and off. Either filter will just bolt on to the engine. But it takes a little work to modify the ducting. It's necessary to seal off the air flow that previously ventilated the engine mounted cooler, and to preserve the separation between top and bottom of the engine compartment. To do this, I made a couple of sheet metal pieces -- one to seal off the channel that diverts air from the fan to the cooler, and one that sealed off the end of the #6 cylinder head. I then gutted an old oil cooler and used it to provide the seal for the engine compartment -- it already fit so nicely that I couldn't see making a whole new piece just for that.

To cover for the loss of cooling (and increased heat load from engine mods) I added two coolers up front -- a fender mounted cooler with a fan and a large center cooler. On a recent 90 degree track day here, engine temps never rose above 205 F.

Here are some pics of my setup:

Old 10-03-2007, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)