View Single Post
Author of "101 Projects"

Reminder: PrePurchase Inspection is a must!!!

Just a reminder to everyone that when you're dealing with older Porsches, a pre-purchase inspection is a must. Unless you're buying the car for pennies on the dollar, the added cost of an inspection is a very good insurance policy.

I had Tony Callas and Grant from Callas Rennsport look at a car I'm considering purchasing. Although I often do my own inspections myself, I am not super-familiar with this particular car, and wanted to make sure I had another two pairs of eyes looking the thing over. One thing about Tony & PPIs at Callas Rennsport - most cars don't "pass" their prepurchase inspection - Tony & crew are infamous for their meticulous attention to detail. I know firsthand that it's easy to fall in love with a car and get too close to it without having an external, unbiased perspective.

Tony's PPIs are not cheap - they run up to $500 depending upon what you want looked at, but they are the end-all in inspections. If your potential future-911 passes Tony's tests, then you can be assured that you will have a good chance of having no surprises in the near future. As I've said in the past, I really recommend Callas Rennsport, as their attention to detail (particularly on the PPIs) closely matches what I've talked about in my books and tech articles here at Pelican.

If you do decide to take a car to Tony (located in south Los Angeles / Torrance), then I suggest that you look the car over very carefully yourself - you want to make sure the car looks perfect prior to bringing it in. Also, Tony won't go too far if the car is a lemon or a wreck - he'll call you up and let you know right away, so you don't waste any time / money on the loser car (that happened with a 5-Series I was looking to buy for my wife a few years ago).

Good news, the car I was looking at today got good marks from Tony (not a perfect grade though), and it looks like it will be added to the stable in the future - more details on this later, I don't want to jinx the deal.

-Wayne
SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)
Old 10-03-2007, 10:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)