View Single Post
Cynical Misanthrope

Send a message via Yahoo to AFM744
rick-

no smoke at all until boost? When I left in a shipping plug on one of the K04s on my Audi there was smoke almost the instant I first started it.
Pull the sparkplugs and see if they're oily. If they're clean then you know the leak is downstream of the engine. It's possible to have oil dump into the compressor (cold) housing too, which would blow oil up through the intercooler and make a mess of the whole intake tract, and give you oily plugs. But the smoke only on-boost has me scratching my head. Rev the engine in neutral (and get the oil pressure up) without making boost, this may diagnose whether it's actually boost or oil pressure causing this.
I made plenty of mistakes on the Audi, and got to help others sort out their's, but I haven't torn apart my C2 yet so I'm going on general logic. If it's only smoking ON-boost then I'd start looking real hard at the case breather plumbing. This was actually a TSB turbo failure cause on my Saab; the case breather would clog causing the case pressure to build, backing up turbo oil draining.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)