View Single Post

Nathan,

Andy is right, but in reading the quote from WERK-1, I think he meant the same thing: on a 911 or 930, the oil is filtered only as it enters the tank. This occurs when oil flows back into the tank from the engine -- either directly or from the front-mounted oil cooler (if the thermostat sent it there first). Oil from the turbo scavenge pump goes right into the tank unfiltered. Any oil (or dirt) flowing from the tank to the engine goes first to the pressure side of the oil pump, then upward to the thermostat housing for the engine-mounted oil cooler (and perhaps through the cooler), then into the main oil gallery and right into the crankshaft bearings.

I don't know about putting a filter on the turbo scavenge line. It might work, but you might want to be careful that whatever filter is placed there doesn't cause a restriction that might inhibit scavenging. The nice thing about adding the filter as I did is that it catches any dirt that may enter the tank for any reason, such as through the filler cap. So if you put a 964 turbo or 993 filter on a 930 engine, it will (theoretically) intercept all significant dirt that got into the tank, not just dirt coming from the turbo. But of course, there are costs and downsides to doing this too, as discussed above.

Rob
Old 10-06-2007, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)