View Single Post

930 Turbo vs. 911 Carrera Dilemma

I've been shopping for a few months for a nice Carrera and I have one in mind that is everything that I was initially looking for- but I recently noticed a beautiful black 930 at the local dealer on consignment and, needless to say, there's no comparison. This is the car that I had a poster of in my room when I was growing up- the ultimate car that I told myself I'd own "someday". Naturally the 930 is a lot more $ than the Carreras I've seen so I'll be looking at some creative financing. The dilemma I have is I know next to nothing about 930's- I've never even driven one and I was hoping to get some feedback regarding the pros & cons of a Carrera vs a 930. I live at about 7000 feet above sea level and my friend, who just moved here (Colorado) from Seattle is a little disappointed in how anemic his 964 feels at altitude. My thinking is that the turbo might do well at altitude. My only chance of getting a feel for a 930 is to test drive the one for sale locally- but I know that often, once the excitement of something new is over and practicality sets in, ones impression and satisfaction with a car can change. I was wondering how "driveable" a 4 speed 930 is in the twisties vs. a 5 speed Carrera- I hear that there's quite a bit if turbo lag and the car could be a real handful where there aren't as many gears to select- for this reason a few people have told me that the 930 is more of a highway car, built for high speeds on the Autobahn. On the other hand I've heard that the 930 has the best chassis and may handle better that a Carrera. My driving will be about 30% highway and 70% back roads. I'm hoping for some advice from those of you that have experience with both 930's and 911's regarding driveability so I can weigh my options- right now the 930 seems like the most exciting option- but I know that looks and impressions can only go so far. I'd also like some feedback regarding reliability and maintenance of a 930 vs. 911 so I can somewhat anticipate the shrinking wallet factor. I look forward to your feedback.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)