View Single Post

Lightbulb Here's my conclusion...

Let me make a controversial argument...

I suggest that any of the BB style turbo oil tanks will damage your engine.

Here is my reasoning. The BB style tank does not include any filtering whatsoever. The factory tank shown below includes a filter screen (part number 9) which can be removed and cleaned. Porsche presumed that the oil in the fender tank was "clean" oil because the oil from the turbo was filtered by the screen before returning to the fender tank and oil from the engine was filtered by the main oil filter before returning to the tank. Therefore I suggest that oil including carbon bits (cooked oil) from the turbo will eventually return to the fender tank with the BB style turbo oil tank and be pumped into your engine!!!

I wish there was a way, short of a complete teardown, that I could clean these bits of carbon out of my engine. Given the number of modified 930s with these tanks I would bet that there are a lot of these little carbon bits floating around our engines.

Here's the test I propose. The next time you change your oil, put a finger into the fender tank drain hole. See if you can feel carbon bits at the bottom of your tank. (I found them in mine and I'm running the "BB" style tank.) I would bet that only people running this kind of turbo tank will find them in the fender tank.

Wanted: One factory type turbo oil tank (any condition) with filter screen still intact. I would like to take one apart and match the factory filter mesh and surface area to an alternate filter for modified cars such as mine.

Last edited by ayglass; 10-06-2007 at 05:20 PM..
Old 10-06-2007, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)