View Single Post
Driver

Garage
I had a similar dilemma a few years ago. I initially set out for a Carrera ('84-'89). However, I found that a lot of people seemed to be asking for $20-25K (or more!) for their normally-aspirated 911s. I think I only came across one that was priced about $17K. So when I stumbled across a clean 930 for just a little more than what people were asking for their Carreras, it was an easier choice for me.

I was worried about maintenance costs. So far, in the 10K miles I've owned my 930, I don't think my costs are anything more than what I would have spent had I purchased a "regular" 911. (Nothing regular about a 911, BTW.) Of course, I do respect the fact that the longevity of a non-turbo motor will be much longer than that of a turbo-charged car. I'm psychologically (though not financially) prepared for a $15-20K rebuild at some point during my tenure of ownership. A 911 might not need a rebuild during the years that you own it. And if it did, chances are it would cost a fraction (1/2? 1/3?) of what it would run in a 930.

Driving in the canyons, I don't think the on-off nature of the turbo and the 4-speed are that difficult to handle. For certain the 930 is more built for high-speed sweepers than it is tight twisties. But that shouldn't ruin the driving experience for you. Nor should it be the deciding factor of whether or not you can keep up with your buddies on canyon runs.

In the end, the opportunity to own the car I truly lusted for back when I was a teenager (and the fact that the difference in purchase price wasn't really that great) were reasons enough for me to go with the 930 over the 911. I think I'd be happy with either car, though. They're both gems.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)