View Single Post
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
turbo hiting engine sheet metal

Just finished installing the GSF headers and K27S turbo on my 79 930.
I was wondering if the other members have seen their turbo upgrades hitting the engine sheet metal where it runs over the top of the exhaust housing. I put a layer of heat wrap/header wrap to act as an insulator between the hot turbine side of the turbo and the sheet metal, but I still don;t like the fact that there is no air gap between the parts.
I am worried that this will put too much heat into the metal shielding and eventually transfer all this hit back into the engine. I already started to notice the rubber engine seal starting to bubble.
I cannot rememebr if the original OEM turbo 3LDZ had an air gap between the sheet metal or not before I removed everything.

Anyone run into this issue?
Any suggestions on fixing it, as I do not prefer to start hammering clearance bulges into the engine sheet metal as it is nice, new, and fits perfect to the engine as is.
I took some measurements of the engine tin with a surface pyrometer at idle in this area and saw temps around 370-400 degrees and wonder if this will damage the distributor and other items that are so close in this area of the engine.

Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 10-08-2007, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)